Need an electric outlet and don't have one? No batteries on hand, either? Well, then you should use the next best thing - potatoes! In this tutorial, learn how to make that old science fair staple - the potato powered calculator! Check it out, it really works!
You Will Need:
* Two potatoes
* A marker
* Two pieces of heavy copper wire
* Two galvanized nails
* Three alligator clips with wires
* A low-voltage, battery-operated calculator
Step 1: Number potatoes
Label your potatoes one and two.
Step 2: Remove battery
Remove the batteries from the calculator. Take care to note where the positive and negative terminals are within the battery compartment.
Step 3: Insert nails
Insert a nail into each potato and stick a copper wire into each potato, opposite the nail.
Alligator clips, nails, and wire can be purchased at your local hardware store.
Step 4: Connect clips
Connect one alligator clip to the copper wire in potato no. 1 and attach the other end to the positive battery terminal in the calculator's compartment.
Step 5: Create second connection
Clip a second alligator clip to the nail in potato no. 2, and then connect the other end to the calculator's negative battery connection.
Step 6: Complete circuit
Complete the circuit by clipping the third alligator clip to the nail in potato one and to the copper wire in potato two. Voila, a working calculator!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades